Travels in the North

Musings on arctic holidays

Reliving an old trip – 17th June 2005 – Suðuroy

My ferry to Suðuroy (or Sue Roy as I think the locals pronounced it – can anyone help here?), which is the Southern most island of the Faroese archipelago, didn’t leave untlil 12:30. This meant I could leisurely pack up my tent at the campsite and have a pretty relaxed morning. Of the 4 other people at the campsite when I arrived, just 2 were left now, a British couple spending four weeks on the Faroes who I chatted to. I was jealous – I’m here for a week which is probably longer than most people get, but wow four weeks would be great. They were cycling round the islands, and as I type this up some seven years on from the trip I’m now massively into cycling myself (in fact I’ve got the highlights from the Tour de France on as I type) and perhaps I’ll have to do a similar trip soon….Anyway I digress.

I got to the ferry terminal about 10, and being the Faroes was able to leave my bag on a shelf (not even in a locker) free of charge, and I wasn’t particularly worried about it. No terrorism or theft threat here. I walked up to the Kings Monument, which was nothing special in itself, but did afford a beautiful view over Torshavn.

My ferry was called the Smyril, and used to be on the Smyril line going all over the North Atlantic. Now it just did the journey between Streymoy and Suðuroy, and was looking pretty tired, and is due to be replaced. The 90 minute journey was stunning, and worth doing just to see the small islands of Stora and Litla Dimun on the way. Litla Dimun was particularly impressive, a tiny island, just a mountain top really sticking out of the ocean. There used to be a farm on the island and it was home to around 15 people, but is now deserted.

Litla Dimun Lítla Dímun

Litla Dimun

Upon my arrival at Drelnes on Suðuroy I got the bus to the hostel in Øravík. Apart from a couple from Torshavn staying at the guesthouse next door, it was completely deserted. It was now about 3:30 and I set off on a walk to Famjin, home of the first Faroese flag, but the terrain was heavy going and my feet were still aching so I didn’t make it all the way. Back the hotel I got a takeaway pizza (it’s a bit of a weird setup with a combined youth hostel, guest house, hotel and pizza counter, I guess this is the way to do it in such a remote place). I watched a little Faroese television, some kind of quiz show was on.


Tvøroyri, seen from the ferry

I feel I could’ve planned this Suðuroy trip a little better, I’ve spent a lot of time hanging around today, and have got a very early start tomorrow to catch a ferry back so feel like I haven’t really given Suðuroy a fair go. It’s now 8 o’clock, there’s noone else here and I don’t fancy sitting at the bar on my own so it’s probably an early night, especially with my early start tomorrow. Still at least I made it here, albeit breifly, and it gives me a reason to return one day. I’d like to visit the village of Tvøroyri and also go right to the South of the island.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: